Tuesday 28 January 2014

When being real isn't real enough - Aerie takes a stand!

One of my favourite news articles of the past week or so, has been that of Aerie for American Eagle. Aerie is my absolute favourite underwear make. I have shopped there for some time and would much rather spend my time shopping there than in Victoria's Secret (GASP!). The fit and the styles suit me perfectly. I have so many sets filling up my drawers!

This being said, I was so happy to see their latest campaign using 'real' woman. The fashion industry is so famously click happy with photo shopping - remember the missing arms?- that everything we see (even in adverts) should be questioned. Just recently Lena Dunham was photo shopped in a magazine while Adam Driver was left exactly the same. Now today is not to get into the realms of male and female but the use of photo shopping and how can we be 'real'.

More times than not, we females hear men say they prefer us without make-up. Personally, I find this hard to believe. Yes, maybe the men who know us think that but if you were to walk out and about, most men would be attracted to those woman who had 'enhanced' their own features. Maybe I am wrong but I think we, as woman, have almost be programmed into thinking this would be the case due to the masses of photo shopping. It really is the impossible trying to achieve the same look. 

[Source]

So how do we know what is real? Models in magazines are real but they are photo shopped until their realness has been replaced. I know that when I wear make up, I look very different, it has taken me until now, the age of 28, to feel comfortable going out without make up. Why? Because that isn't how I am meant to look/have to look - or at least that's what TV and magazines make me feel. But, as I have grown older, I am caring more about just my own feelings and views. 

Aerie have chosen to use models who have not been airbrushed at all in their new underwear campaign. This is so refreshing to see. Stomachs don't have airbrushed contours, freckles are left in, tattoos can be seen and body shapes are perfect on their own. I applaud them for being so forward and for making this step, in a world of fashion so dedicated to perfection beyond reach, it is so nice to see a brand standing out and using 'real' woman. 

[Source]


What do you think of the 'Aerie Real' campaign? Do you think the fashion industry is too photo shop happy?


Find Me
twitter/bloglovin/pinterest

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...