Saturday 19 March 2011

My fever...


After a bit of a bad day yesterday (it sucks finding out news which you people think you wont find out) I had a day away from blogging as it would have been a rather glum post. Any cheering up would be appreciated by the way?! During the week, on of my favourite bloggers, Hockey Wife, posted something about Bieber Fever after taking her little one to see the film and encouraged us to think of our own 'Fever' from childhood. I was inspired to write a post on mine;

1999...12 years old...the beginning of my induction into boy band fever. Having grown up with 4 brothers, I was well versed in the music of Nirvana. I was even able to sing along to many of their tracks. But when it hit 1999, everything changed!

Yes, the millennium was on its way, there was a bug which was going to destroy all computers but it was The Backstreet Boys (and their Millenium album) which changed my life. Now I know they had been around for some time but, as I said, I was Nirvana and rock. I remember, going to my local supermarket and buy their album (my first ever) and never looking back.
 
What followed was the transformation of my childhood into a teenager. I suddenly had a favourite boyband member, a song which I would imagine was being sung to me and an album which would be on repeat. I began to buy their ‘back catalogue’ and became obsessed in a way in which only teenage girls can about boy bands. I had my favourite- Nick if you must know.

I think he needs to be on my ‘list’...

 Why? Well, his hair was amazing, his voice was outstanding and he was just a typical young American kid. I just adored him. Me and my friend would spend our time practising our autographs signatures with his surname and imagining our life Florida- not both of us obviously. That was another bone of contention- who would get him?! Obviously that would be me of course! A favourite of mine was my video (yep- VHS people!) which was a compilation of all their TV shows they did at that time.
 
I had pictures from magazines plastering the wall of my computer room. That room will now be forever known as ‘The Shrine’. What I haven’t told you yet is that I have a twin. She was a Westlife fanatic- she loved Shane and plastered her side of the wall in Westlife memorabilia. So you can just imagine the amazingness of that room?! I often dabbled in Westlife but would always come back to the good stuff- The Backstreet Boys.

After a rummage I found my ‘BSB Folder’. Just a few of the delights inside!

My biggest regret is that I didn’t get to see them live back in the day. However, only last year did myself, Miss Twin, Miss GG and Miss Faux Fur relive our youth when we FINALLY got to see them perform. I am not ashamed to say that I regressed in years to a screaming, bouncy 16 year old girl who cheered and sang like there was no tomorrow.

My phone shot of the BSB- not clear but it totally means the world!

That’s my fever and guess what? It’s still here, slightly dormant but every now and again when my iTunes randomly throws up a BSB track I enjoy a good sing along and I am transported back to a time of worrying if I had enough money for the next single which would be released and which poster to remove for my new one. 

What was yours?  


Check out Hockey Wife if you want to see her follow up post: 
 

Tales of a Hockey Wife

15 comments:

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

Haha, awesome. You know who I thought it was at first, Devon Sawa. He was my LOVE back then. Cute post :)

Take All Chances - Missy said...

Oh yea!! Forgot about him...wasn't he in Final Destination with the hot Josh Hartnett? Oh how I loved Josh Hartnett!

Tales of a Hockey Wife said...

Thanks for the link...I think our past heartthrobs can tell so much about who we are (and our age)....

Glad to see the BSB post in it's full glory!

Cheers!

Take All Chances - Missy said...

No problem- thanks for inspiring me!! It definitly does and not just the band but which person in the band (or vacal harmony group as BSB liked to call themselves) you like. I think Nick Carter will be my Sting! haha!

Kristen Victoria said...

This post was great :) It may not be about the music but more about the nostalgia of listening to it... brings you back to that teenage mindset like nothing else. My biggest obsession was Blink 182... I had a giant crush on Tom DeLonge... still do! haha

Love your blog... I'm your newest follower!

Michelle said...

I love BSB! I'm going to see them with NKOTB! I'm so excited!

Have a great weekend!

Stopping by from FTLOB's Weekend Wander :)
http://missblondiexoxo.blogspot.com

El Grande said...

Aww, hope that you are feeling better.

(A super big virtual hug headed your way)

Also, what's "Westlife?" I've never hear of them, and why do you still keep a Back Street Boys folder???

(Not that I am judging)

Something Infinitely Interesting said...

Haha i love it.. i am such a big BSB fan, i been to 3 concerts and met AJ, and im going to there conect with NKOTB this summer.. cant wait!! Brings back the good ol days.

Pennington said...

On the FTLOB weekend wander......and ah you brought back memories! As Tales of a Hockey Wife said, our "fever" can easily give away our age. I was in love with New Kids on the Block, before they went by NKOB. lol! As my 13th birthday gift I got to go and see them at the state fair. I thought I would never be the same, thanks for an old memory!
Jessica
www.arunnerswife.blogspot.com

Take All Chances - Missy said...

I think we will all love our teen idols - in the most coolest way possible of course!! haha!

@Lisa- I bet you have so much fun!!!

@El Grande- It's not something I look at everyday. It's tidied away with all my old stuff (including a Westlife folder hahaha). Judge away now!
This is Westlife (an irish boy band): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1LEISP6e9c
That is one of their biggest songs. It obviously doesn't compare to your favourite Rebecca Black but its a classic with me and my friends!

El Grande said...

It's an alright song, I guess, but nothing compares to Rebecca Black's genius, NOTHING!

I had "special" musical tastes in 1999 too.

These where my two favorite songs that year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96YQdiMV-Jc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_jmDscGi7E

So I really can't judge.

Take All Chances - Missy said...

I know you just accidently used " " around the word special?! That song inspired signs when I went with friends to their concert haha!! Ahh the good old days!

I actually like both songs you've posted. I am a HUGE Beatles fan. Their music is great.

El Grande said...

Yeah, "accidentally"

Lozzz123 said...

Haha I loved Nick too. I always thought, if he just met me, he'd know we were supposed to be together. Sigh.

Cool blog by the way :)

Take All Chances - Missy said...

Me too haha!! I still do..sshh!!
Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...