Wednesday 8 January 2014

5 Life Changes

I have began to make positive changes in my life the past few months. Some have almost been forced upon me and others are things I have chosen to do myself as I know it will be beneficial to me. I thought I would share them with you today. 

1: Eating Habits
This is something I've already documented and will be coming back to throughout the next few months. I am wanting to make sure that I put good food and nutrients into my body to give my body and mind extra help to feel better.






2: Being kind to myself
This is proving difficult. With depression and anxiety, the mind is naturally negative and I find myself being extremely hard on my actions and thoughts. I try to be alot kinder towards myself on the off days and talk more soothingly to myself. My therapist once asked me, "Would you tell someone else who was upset to 'Pull it together and get over it?'" I replied, "No, of course not I would comfort them." Then I realised she had proved 
her point. Why should I be any different from those around me.



3: Therapy
I begun seeing my current therapist last year and this was a big step for me. I had visited one previous in the year and did not have a great experience. However, the second time around I made the choice of therapist myself and I trusted her. I have not had sessions over Christmas due to the break but I am looking forward to going back to see her. She helps to focus my thoughts and challenges the negative ones. It is nice to not feel a burden for talking about my feelings. Hopefully this will help me deal with the issues I am facing and the uphill climb away from depression. 

Not the way I shop...


4: Listening to my body
Part of my anxiety issues is that after my brother was diagnosed, I began to need to control all situations and put a lot of pressure on myself to be right. I didn't like to delegate and I strived for perfection. I strived to the point of self destruction, I couldn't let things go, I couldn't ask or accept help and brushed away the signals that I was becoming ill. That wasn't going to happen and if I ignored it and kept everything how it was meant to be no one would realise. Well, it all crashed down. No more forcing myself up on the mornings to put on a brave face. I am now understanding how important it is to listen to my body. If I'm having an off day, accept it and start a new day. If I can't do something, that's fine - I ask for help. I am honest with people if I feel to tired or just need alone time. Those who know me, will recognise that and not question. They support and by being honest it is helping those around support and understand what I am going through.


5: Saying no
I am a 'yes' person. I always want to help people and look after them and make sure they are ok.In the past this has led to little time being spent looking after myself. I have said yes to things which have been detrimental to myself because I desperately wanted to help or look like I was able to do everything. After my burn out last year, I have realised this does not help me at all. There is no point caring and helping others if I can't look after myself. Being a teacher, I am a natural nurturer which is great but I can't forget to nurture myself.




All images from : Pinterest



Are you looking to make any life changes to get yourself back on track if you've strayed?



Find Me
twitter/bloglovin/pinterest/instagram 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...