Tuesday 12 February 2013

And then I froze...

Today was an eventful one. After a day in bed ill yesterday, I finally dragged myself out of bed and into school this morning. Like the good teacher I am, I knew I had a hockey tournament to take a group of kids too and I could not disappoint them. So I layered up for my afternoon of outdoor sports.

Little did I know, but my layers were nowhere near enough. We arrived at the venue only to be told there was no indoor area for the kids to eat their lunch. This meant that we had to sit on the astro turf pitch, in the cold and eat there. Kids being kids, they all loved it but me - not so much. Not only could I not eat (and hadn't for the past day and a half due to illness) but I also had to scramble to find lunch for the child who left his on the bus. Obviously these days, "Have you got everything?" means don't check and leave food on bus which is going to leave and not come back. How did I not know this?

We spent 3 and a half hours outside playing in consistent cycles of snow/no snow and freezing temperatures. Again, the kids loved it but standing sidelines for that long was difficult when nursing an illness when I should really have been tucked up in bed. The best news came when we were awarded 3rd place - this made all the cold worth it! 






I was this cold... no exaggeration... seriously... ahem. [Source]

As teachers go, I am a pretty dedicated one don't you think?


What was your favourite sports at school?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...