Monday 6 June 2011

I'm back...

It has been such a long time since blogging. I feel new to it all over again!! My trip was great and I arrived back home last Friday. I unfortunately had jet lag catch up with me so I took another couple of days off to get pulled around. I have to say I have coped better with jet lag this time than ever before....Is that a sign?! I had a stressful start to the holiday with the usual half term illness. I also decided to work on the fight over there. I got loads done but it wasn't fun writing. I will say that my holiday sparked my writing off again. I wrote loads (in fact I carried my notebook around just in case inspiration struck at any time) and have continued that since getting back. How much will make it to my blog? I don't know...it's just nice to be enjoying it!!



My holiday was a lot more relaxed than any other I've been on to NYC. Since I've done most of the main 'touristy' activities I was able to stroll and just take in the city more. Luck would have it that I got to take the city in, in glorious sunshine!!! I got to wear the daisy dukes Texa - wooo!!!!

I ventured to Williamsburg in Brooklyn, lounged in Central Park and wandered along Park Avenue. I was also lucky enough to visit the Met (first time) to view the Alexander McQueen exhibit. I have to say that it was some of the most amazingly beautiful yet dark work I've ever had the pleasure of viewing up close. The rooms were all themed and had noises and holograms everywhere, along with many quotes. The guy was talented and clearly loved the female form. He took pride in making woman look strong and powerful. Check out this link if you want a glimpse of Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty.


 

It's getting harder to leave the city each time I go. I know that it could never be a place which I call 'home' but it would definitely be an adventure. The more time you spend in New York, the more you see past the lights and buildings and really see the people who live there. It struck me at one point that the majority of people walk around the city are alone. Whether they're going to work, school, hanging out etc.Even when walking with Miss Faux Fur it was hard to stay together. It was like some magical force field pulling us apart. Friends I met said they have maybe 2 close friends and everyone else is just 'someone they know'. If you know this before going there long term it's fine but I couldn't imagine someone turning up with no knowledge.It's a city which can toughen you up, burn you out but can introduce you to so many unusual and interesting people. Some of whom you feel like you could have a real friendship with, others you need to feel wary of them.

This sounds like I'm being negative towards my (and Rebecca's) favourite city. I'm not. I'm just seeing it in reality. It's like the final scene of The Wizard of Oz- the curtain is lifting and the lies are being exposed. I feel like I have a closer bond with the city now, I've found out a secret which not many people know. It is and always will be a city full of so many memories and hopefully at some point an adventure which will toughen me up and give me things to tell my grandkids about in the future.

I New York City....still.... 


 

5 comments:

Jessi said...

I have never been to New York, but I've heard people say similar things that live there.

Hope you have a great day! :)

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

I LOVE NY TOO!!! Hope you are having a great time there ;)

Rebecca said...

Ahh I love our city! :) I am glad you had such a good time - once again. I agree with you, it is an interesting place with many goods and bads, but as long as you are not diving in with the wrong expectations, it can make it worth your while all year round!

Kym @ Travel Babbles said...

Hope you loved every second of NYC! It's my favorite city!! xox

Take All Chances - Missy said...

Thank you all :-) I had a fab time but it's always nice to be home!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...