Saturday 16 April 2011

Childhood toys..

It's my first proper day off and I will confess that I have not made it past the settee yet. I am allowing myself a day to do nothing, maybe have a tidy but essentially be boring! That is the reason that I am sitting watching Toy Story. I saw the final one when it was out (yes- I did shed a little tear) but I had forgot how much I loved the original. Whenever I watch the films, I always start thinking about my toys and how much I loved them!
One of my favourite toys when growing up had to be Barbies. I used to love Christmas when I would get some Barbie with a big pretty dress and the little daily dressed Barbies I would get throughout the year. 
{via}

 What a collection!

Then of course you had Ken. Ken was Mr Reliable for Barbie. Me and Miss Twin would spend hours setting up Barbie houses and acting out little lives of them.


{via}  
See... looks good in any era!


I had little families, jobs and favourite outfits for them. As I grew a little older, I even gave them haircuts. Obviously they all looked much better after a hairdresser visit. 

Another toy which allowed me to be creative was Girls World. I would style, cut, restyle her hair as well as change her make up all the time. I have to admit that I kinda ruined her when I asked one of my big brothers to do her make up like the Ultimate Warrior (My favourite wrestler ever) and it stained her face forever with a red tinge. Oh I also learnt that the dolls make up was not made for kids.

{Via}    

{Via} 
Yea... as you can imagine, Girls World looked pretty strange amazing painted like the above! 


I could keep going with toys, from the more late 90's to the obscure ones but the last one I am going to leave you with was a firm favourite with me and Miss Twin:

{via}
The one and only Fisher Price kitchen!

Me and Miss Twin would wake up early on weekends and busy ourselves in the kitchen. We'd host parties, serve our family nutritious plastic meals and have lots of fun. We even utilised the sink to create marble effect pictures with water and paint. Yes...we were very cool! I would like to say this kitchen taught me valuable cooking skills but I am the worst cook ever (unless you want cupcakes and cakes).


An honorary mention goes to my older brothers Lego collection. Again, another toy which I loved as a kid. It's something which never falls out of favour...ever!
{via}
 I loved the lego trees. Always made my homes look pretty!

Now I have kids coming into school raving about their favourite video games (one even speaks about Call of Duty and he's 7!) and nothing else.


What was your favourite childhood toy?

27 comments:

Unknown said...

I am your newest follower from a Weekend Blog hop, look forward to checking out your blogs and all your Social Links, have an awesome weekend! Aprils Lifestyle Show

OKinUK said...

Love Toy Story!

My favorite toy was Teddy Ruxpin. And I think I prefer 80s Ken.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I, too, was a huge Barbie fan. I had the camper and the townhouse and loved pulling the elevator up and down. My best friend and I would pack up our favorites and spend HOURS playing at each other's houses. Sad I don't see kids as into them these days. Maybe that's just around here though. Everything has been taken over by electronics--computer, video games, wii, etc.
I miss those toys!

kit said...

Lego was probably my favourite - pirate Lego in particular! My brother and I also loved Playmobil. Hours of fun!

ropcorn said...

I also loved playing with barbies and Lego while growing up. And I actually have (somewhere) the 1990s Ken. :p

Sarah said...

I loved the Fisher Price kitchen when I was little!

Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

El Grande said...

I like Barbies (this is Toaster).

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

Why does Ken look gayer and gayer each decade?! Haha. I had all of those toys! As for my fave, hmmm, I did have an affinity for Troll Dolls at one point. I also loved Peoples!

SassySweetChic said...

Hello my love! I love Barbies too!!
Found you through the weekend blog hop and can't wait to read more from you!
Come check me out, giveaways are starting tomorrow!!
Elizabeth

Sarah said...

The 80's Ken doll was my favorite of all of them! My favorite childhood toy would have to be all of my Barbie stuff, I had a whole patio BBQ party set and I would spend an hour setting it up and then be too bored to actually play Barbies with it :)

New follower from the weekend blog hop, I hope you can visit www.mooseandtater.com

Akirah said...

I loved Barbies. I remember once I cut my Barbie's hair and my mom was sooo mad at me. She told me just because I ruined my dolls, she wasn't going to buy me a new one. And she sure didn't. Lesson learned.

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@April- Thanks!
@Mollie- I dont know...I like 70's Ken's neckerchief haha!
@sandbox- Wow!! A camper?! I am so jealous haha! I remember being excited when I got a popcorn maker as part of a 'homeware' set.
@small girl- I totally forgot about Playmobil...another favourite.
@Rop- yep I still have my old barbies in storage. I have th Ken who had a white tuxedo and then for a change a turban and shuiny waistcoat. Didn't get it then and don't get it now haha!
@Saragh- another FP kichen fan :-)
@Toaster (El Grande)- I don't blame you, they're awesome!!
@Texa- Hahaha, particularly when you can see he is wearing a string vest in the 00's pic! Trolls were weird but great!
@Sassy- thank you!
@Sarah- as with most things from that time you spent more time arranging stuff than playing haha!!The patio sounds amazing!!

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@Akirah- Aww no! Poor you! I cut a lot of mine. I'm sure I once had one where you would move her arm up and down and her hair would 'grow'. Maybe I'm thinking of another toy?

El Grande said...

Toaster and I still play legos...

Ixy said...

LOL I guess I'm not the only one who thought Ken looked more and more like Barbie each decade! My favourite toy was my My Little Pony castle. It was awesome!!

My sister and I also ruined all our stuffed animals by piercing their ears, which consisted of cutting holes in their furry ears, pulling out the stuffing and threading pipe cleaners through the holes. Good times.

Visiting from FTLOB comment love :)

Unknown said...

You summed up my childhood hahaha I mean there is some exceptions of course but this is a great post. It's nice to reminisce especially with all the technology! You have to be technologically advanced to work some of the toys today, Barbie and Ken though, cheers the good old days. Stopping by FTLOB.

Melissa Smith said...

So cute! I would definitely say my favorite toy was my puppy. Definitely!
~Melissa from thesmithsandco.blogspot.com

Katherina said...

My favorite toy ever were the little ponies !!! I think I had like 50. A mansion. A school... I had it all.

Unknown said...

I, too, cried over Toy Story. :)

My favorite toys were my skates and my scooter. I was all about moving around back then. :)

Thanks for visiting Carrigan's Joy, it's great to meet fellow educators. :)

Mostly Food and Crafts said...

My cabbage patch kid definitely. VIsiting from FTLOB - have a great day!

Natalie said...

Memory lane!

I loved my Cabbage Patch Kids. My cousin and I would play doctor and perform surgeries on them - I loved that I could cut them open and sew them back together.

And I just realized I probably sound like a sick puppy, eh? Oops. I really just wanted to be a doctor!

Happy Sunday!

Anonymous said...

My favorite was Barbie. No doubt about it! I actually saw a Barbie Toys R Us awhile ago that my sister and I had when we were little... I had to blog about it! http://hellosundae.wordpress.com/2011/01/28/cindy-barbie-me/
Have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Easy Bake Oven! Back in the "day" it was THE hot item. I would make all kinds of stuff, even had my own pot holders and apron! Still don't know how the hell you can back a cake with a lightbulb!

Katie @ Chicken Noodle Gravy said...

*sigh* what a great post. Really takes me back to those great childhood days! I had the fisher price kitchen, too, and loved it. There's a picture of me with it hosting an elaborate tea party for all my stuffed animals :)

My favorite toy growing up would have to be My Little Pony though. I had dozens of them and still love them to this day. :)

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@El Grande- I don't understand the whole 's' on the end of Lego? I'm seeing that people from UK don't do it and people in the US do. Is that what it's called there? Also, I'm so jealous you still get to play it!
@Ixy- What an image in my head! Those poor teddies lol!
@outspoken- yep, Barbie and Ken don't need screwdrivers, batteries and various other things which all toys seem to need these days!
@Melissa- Aw that's cute!
@Katherina- A pony school?! Wow!!!
@Toni- I never had skates as older sister fell and knocked her front tooth out lol! Gutted! I always wanted some too.*sigh*
@Danielle- I don't remember them too much. I'm not sure if they were as popular in the UK.
@Natalie- What a game haha!! I bet those dolls were the healthiest out of all your friends dolls haha!
@Sundae- I read the post and yes she definitly did tippy toe about haha! Bless her!She had amazing pins though!
@Mandy- I do wonder how more children were not ill with those type of toys.
@Chicken Noodle- Parties with stuffed animals were the best! They didn't complain about 'plastic food' haha!!

Caryn said...

I think Ken was the best in 80's. He just looks too much like Barbie in 2000's. I totally forgot about that Doll head until I saw it here! I had that! A board game I used to love was Mall Madness. Ever play that? I wish we still had it! Thanks for a trip down memory lane.

Tanya (a Taste of T) said...

I loved that doll that you could put fun patterns in her hair and change it color with water

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...