Wednesday 8 June 2011

Back on the er...pole

With all the knee problems that I'm having, I am getting extremely frustrated at my lack of being able to do anything. I don't exercise to stay slim, I do it because I enjoy it therefore not being able to do it since last October has been pretty rubbish. All I want to do is prance about. After numerous visits to Mr Knee Man (I don't know his real title but I have used more colourful words to describe him at various points) and a scan it appears that the damage is low level. What does this mean? Well I'm not that sure as Mr Knee Man can be rather vague. I have seemed to ascertain that I need to build up knee and quad muscle again and that more than likely somewhere in the future I can get back to running and high impact exercise. It seems like it can't be 'fixed' as such just worked around with some well developed muscle!!

So he has given me a list of exercises which are boring squats and leg extensions. I have decided (wrong or right I don't know) to go back to my pole dancing. This is because I reckon it's not too bad on the knee and you use a lot of core and upper body strength. I went to my first lesson in a year today and I absolutely loved being back. It's one of my most enjoyed exercise ever and I always say it's the best exercise I've done to tone up arms and stomach. You just have to not mind a couple of bruises while learning!!! It wasn't long into my lesson that I was attempting my upside down spins and didn't fair too badly... woo!!!

As it was my first time back in a while I decided on the beginners class. This led to my favourite quote of the day from my instructor:

"That girl over there just asked me if you're a professional."

This amused me due to the fact that I haven't done it in so long!! Clearly I'm still not so bad at it. However I'm not so sure whether I should be worried or flattered by this remark! The way I look at it, the weekly lesson along with all the exercises given by my doctor she set my knee up well.Now I have the fun of not being able to walk for pain after my first work out in 7 months.

I'm sure everyone has their one type of exercise that they love more than anything else?

3 comments:

Tales of a Hockey Wife said...

Love this!! I have been taking pole for almost two years, and I am now starting to teach! I always tell people that once they try it, they will never quit. I have pictures posted on my blog!!

Cheers

Rebecca said...

Pilates!!!!! But pole dancing. . .interesting. . .I have thought about it, but never thought I'd be much of a talent.

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@HW- That's what I said, I went for about a year but class times were on too late. So it's been another year gone and I've gone back. I suprised myself last night as I was still fine with the inversions. I've seen your pictures before and they are fab! It always made me miss it when I saw them!! Good luck with the teaching!

@Reb- I do like a little pilatwes every now and again I have to admit. You should try it though. Best exrcis ever and fun!! I bet you'll be great if you manage pilates fine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...