Tuesday 1 February 2011

Why?

I was thinking about relationships and the word love today. Strangely this came about after reading an extract from a book called 'The Twits' by Roald Dahl with my class today. If you've never read the book (and you should), the two main characters are married, mean and play tricks on each. They are quite revolting people all in all. One child then asked me:

" Miss... Why did they get married if they don't like each other?"

I just looked at him and went to say something and just stood with my mouth slightly agape. I had no answer to him. So I have to say I did the child like thing of shrugging my shoulders and saying, " I don't know." A cop out, I know.. I couldn't even muster a discussion as I was thinking in my head about all the couples I've known or came across where I have thought a similar thing. I think we have all seen those couples where they seem to hate each other so much but are still together after years. What keeps them together? Was there ever an attraction? Was it convenience? Is it out of hope that it will get better? We have all asked those questions of others and I always hope that I will never have to ask that question of myself.

I believe that cheating is one of the worst thing you could do to someone and I think that it stems from couples where there is something missing or indeed something there like dislike. Therefore I've always believed that if I were to be in that situation then I would be strong enough to remove myself from the situation. Everyone wants love and everyone wants to have something so special that everyone wants it. So all I can hope is that I find that special bond in the future and will always have the strength and courage to search for that and not feel like I should cave to the pressures of being expected to be with someone and settle down. 

True love ways...


I have blogged before about being called out as 'being in love'. I don't think that I was as I read a quote the other day which hit me quite hard but made me feel quite happy and optimistic for the near future:

“It is impossible to fall out of love. Love is such a powerful emotion, that once it envelops you it does not depart. True love is eternal. If you think that you were once in love, but fell out of it, then it wasn't love you were in" 

Maybe the answer to the question I was asked today, and that which we ask about many, could simply just be- They were never in love.



7 comments:

Chunky Knubby Navel said...

I have noticed that too. I wonder if some people just like to fight, and wanting to fight enhances the romance, but it just makes it unpleasant for anyone around them. I'm not sure...so weird =p

Whitney

Take All Chances - Missy said...

I reckon...just they never seem to have any romance haha! It is definitly uncomfortable for others too. I hate that feeling of not really knowing where to look haha!I can't stand silence!

Unknown said...

That makes sense. I've thought that I was in love before and then later figured out that it really wasn't... Popping over from Around the World Wed. Hope you have a lovely week!

Rebecca said...

I love your last quote. . and it has made me struggle in the past: I was one of the ones that had been cheated on, and while I was and am caught up in a love like that quote describes, I have to remove myself from the one that I love so dearly because of all the wrongs he has done to me. It never has been an easy choice, and I still struggle to follow through with it, over and over again.

Take All Chances - Missy said...

I know- that quote seemed to just hit me too. I like it.. as I said, it gives me hope :-) Hopefully it will do the same for you too.. stay strong and look after yor heart!

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@Kassi- Good to see you found me :-) Thanks for checking out the blog!

Caryn said...

I think your student asked a very astute question. What grade do you teach? I really enjoyed this post and how you concluded it with that quote . The very last line left me thinking... so much so that I wrote a blog post on the topic. Come over to carynlevyonline.blogspot.com to see how you inspired me.

P.S. I'm totally diggin' your blog!

Cheers,
Caryn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...