Friday 28 January 2011

When I grow up..

Today I was working with one of the groups in my class and a disagreement broke out. I went over to see what was the matter and was confronted with two very angry boys and one, who looked rather worried and upset, said:

“Miss.... D said that Superboys aren’t real but I reall am going to be one when I grow up!!”

With great power comes great responsibilty....

The other child then proceeded to complain that he couldn’t because superheroes aren’t real. Talk about getting your dreams crushed!! Poor kid! It took me back to when I was younger when all I ever wanted to be was an ice skater. I don’t know why because it’s not like I skated a lot. I then remember a phase when I wanted to be a tennis player but realised that, at 5’3”, I was far too short and since I could barely see over the net that it wasn’t going to happen. The same for air stewardess and model. Seriously...height is a pain when choosing a career haha!! 

Then Miss Twin chatted about being a teacher and I thought, “Hmmm, why don’t I do that too?” So I did and I absolutely love it. It’s such a special job educating children and supporting them to understand the world. In their eyes it’s all black or white and there are no grey areas. Take the ‘super hero’ talk. Yes there are no Spiderman, Superman etc but there are firemen, policemen, soldiers etc who all risk their lives and are heroes for putting their life at risk. 

That naivity is so cute and now I wouldn’t want to change my job for the world. I feel very fortunate to be able to make some people’s lives that little bit brighter. Oh and Miss Twin... she went into property haha!!

What did you want to be when you were growing up? Are you that now?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...