Wednesday 30 May 2012

Adventure time...

I had quite the weekend bloggers, I accompanied 28 children from my schools (ages 9-10) on an adventure weekend. The children loved it and it was so good to see then all work together and push themselves out of their comfort zone. 

However, it was not just the kids who pushed themselves. I also pushed myself to the limit and way out of my comfort zone. I decided to just go for it with the activities and spurred on by the support of the kids I took part in all activities. 

It is amazing the way adrenaline affects your body. Personally, I would never say I'm scared of heights but put me in a harness and ask me to jump off something high I kinda freeze. I went on the zip wire and couldn't believe the way my body reacted. From the beginning of deciding I would do it, my body started to protest. I began to find breathing slightly harder and my body would not settle. Pacing is the word which would've described me best. As I got fastened into my harness I began to feel the need to talk lots and look at where I was about throw myself off. I then had to make my way up the inside of the tower which was another test as I had to ascend grate stairs. By the time I reached the top I was physically shaking. The only thing which calmed me down was to comfort and support a child who had been overcome and would not do the zip wire. 

Then I stepped up to the top and couldn't look. With coaxing from the instructor I slowly edged towards the end - backwards. I had decided that backwards would be a lot less frightening. As it were it was still pretty scary. But, when I fell/walked off I loved it. I felt so exhilarated, I could have zipped around all day. I absolutely loved it. Above all I felt like I had achieved something. Did I overcome a fear? No, but I did push myself to the up most limit from my zone. I also participated in a number of other 'extreme' activities which gave me that same feeling.

I managed to leave not only having had a great time but feeling like I'd achieved something in myself. Obviously we supported the children but there was also staff bonding to be had. My colleagues are great people and I definitely had fun. It was just the kinda weekend I needed.

Have you ever pushed yourself to do something which quite frankly pushed you to your limit?


3 comments:

Something Infinitely Interesting said...

That's soo awesome, experience is everything.

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

Good for you! Always great pushing your self out of your comfort level. I feel I do it with every move :) Hope you have been doing great girl. I saw that you are headed for a vacation and hope you have a blast!!

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@ Lisa.. it definitly is! Such a good feeling to push yourself.

@Lindsey- You defintly push yourself moving to so many new places :-) You always manage it in style though. I'm better now and loved my vacation thanks :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...