Tuesday 16 August 2011

Crying doesn't work...

I was reading an article the other day which discussed a study in which woman were monitored to see if crying actually helped lighten their mood. It basically states that out of 97 woman who kept diaries to monitor their feelings and when they cried, 1004 crying moments were recorded. Out of these, only 1/3 resulted in an improved mood.

It goes on to state that social networking is the way to feel better and that crying is only more likely to make you feel better if another person is there. Why? Well, he believes it is because they give you support and make other people focus on your problems. The good old shoulder to cry on eh?

So what this study recommends is to cry, in the presence of another person to feel better or just not to cry at all. Why not more than one? Rottenberg believes that this could spark feelings of shame.We wouldn't want that now, would we?

First of all, before I give my opinion on whether crying helps, I must draw attention to the 97 woman group. Surely this is not the best number in order to generalise results? I personally believe that crying does help you feel better. Maybe only short term but I view it as being needed to rebalance myself and get all the sadness out. In the words of Conor Oberst:
"Your eyes must do some raining if you're ever gonna grow..."


I suppose it didn't help Alice too much...she nearly got her head cut off.

Does crying make you feel better or do you have another go to strategy?

5 comments:

Laura Louise Cox said...

Sometimes you just need a good old cry... personally I get a little embarrassed crying in front of others, so I do it all alone in the comfort of my home.

I'm a mega weepy though, books, adverts, music, films... You name it I cry!

x

inthisboxofgoodies.blogspot.com

Something Infinitely Interesting said...

I think it depends... there are times when i cry and i feel sooo much better.. then times i just feel in a blah mood!

Unknown said...

Honestly I think it depends. There are so many factors - angry tears, happy tears,frustrated tears, sad tears. I don't particularly like crying especially in front of people. But sometimes it happens - usually in front of family or very close friends. Sometimes crying makes me in more of a 'hum - bum' kind of mood but others
It makes me feel better - for instance, when I'm upset, an frustrated and been standing strong all day and I come home to my husband, him knowing all isnt ok & I just crumble. That crumbling sometimes feels so good.

Joyful Sparrow said...

Interesting post. I feel like a good cry is sometimes necessary for me - to release all of the pent up sadness or stress or frustration inside. I don't usually feel better immediately, but after a good cry followed by a good sleep, I feel great. Usually.

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@Laura- I too cry at anything! haha! Songs, adverts etc etc. Glad I'm not the only one!
@Lisa- Hmmm...I get you on that one. Not often, but occassionaly I feel more pity for myself after crying.Generally I feel more clear.
@Kristina- I too don't like crying in front of people. I like to try and be strong. I think this is a bad thing sometimes though. Why should we be strong all the time? Somtimes we just have to let go and feel pain, happiness, better whatever reason the tears are there for.
@JS- Yea, it definitly releases tension for me which creates a kinda domino effect of feeling better.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...