Thursday 24 March 2011

You look too young...

If only I had a £1 for every time I heard this!! Whenever I say I am a teacher, people look me up and down and reply, "Really? You look far too young..." I am obviously grateful for looking young but sometimes I feel like it lets me down a bit. Whether it be parents who look at me and think I am not able to do my job or people who I meet in business who initially judge me as being young and inexperienced. 

After 4 years of being in the job I am finally finding my professional feet and being able to work through problems confidently. Yes, I have enjoyed teaching and know what to do but I am now starting to feel able to carry the extra responsibilities which I have been given.

Would I age by 10 years though to be taken seriously? No way!!! At the end of the day, I do my job and very soon people realise that I am not young, silly, inexperienced or rubbish at my job. On the plus side I can still get a sneaky student discount every now and again haha!! As soon as people stop thinking I'm 19 and not 25, then I will stop!!

10 comments:

El Grande said...

I have the opposite problem. People always think that I am older than I really am. I have gotten estimates from 25 to 45. It was kind of cool when I was underage because I would buy "stuff" without an I.D., now the only benefit that it was is that I can flirt with women who are older than me without them thinking I am too young for them.

Take All Chances - Missy said...

Every cloud has a silver lining eh? haha!!

I always get put at at least 3 years younger than I am at 22. I was never a one to be able to get drink even though our limit is only 18!! But that's what friends are for haha!

El Grande said...

Hey, hey, I never said drinks. Good to know that that's the first thing that rushes to your head in the presence of the word "stuff"

Little Beachs said...

Their is a plus to looking young!!
cute blog!

joni

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@ LB: Yep- some definite pluses!
@ El Grande- With my job it's pretty much one of the 1st thing that rushes into my head when I get home haha!!

Katherina said...

I get that a lot, too!! the other day, I went on a business trip on my own, to meet banks. One of the bankers saw me and immediately asked me "for how long have you been working in your company? Not long, I assume". I hated that. But oh well, I will be thankful when I'm 40 I guess ;)

El Grande said...

WHAT?!? That comment maybe you sound like the teacher on the Simpsons. I bet you also drink during class. ;)

Unknown said...

I taught for a while and I got the same thing because I look younger than I am. It was awesome. The best part is when I would visit the high school (I also coached) and some people thought I was student cause I'm so short!

I came by from FTLOB:)

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@Kat- Yep, when we are old it will be so good!! Although I kinda like it now too!

@El Grande- Hahaha, us teachers aren't far off that. You remember that episode where Lisa stole all their textbooks? Well as a teacher I can empathise. I'm sure my lessons would be much more fun if I did drink (for me anway haha!) but I think it's frowned upon.

@Poe- Yep, I'm 5'3" and a bit so know the feeling. I have kids in my class nearly my height and I teach 8 year olds lol!!

El Grande said...

Shame, shame Missy. I knew it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...