Tuesday 8 March 2011

A long day...

What a day!! I left for work at 8am.

After, numerous cups of green tea, a couple of painkillers, 3 ice packs, 5 lessons taught, 60 books marked and 12 hours later I made it home.

Today was the day which all teachers dread (except the 1st day back after every holiday and report deadline day)... it was Parent's Evening. Ahh parents evening, so many ups and downs.

If you have a 'good' kid you find parents either:
a- Sit looking a little embarrassed (in a good way) and proud of how well their child is doing.
b- Sit and plead ignorance at how good their child is and make you wax lyrical about how fabulous their child is.

If you have a 'bad' kid you find parents:
a- Are completely unaware of the behaviour issues and blame some other child.
b- Really don't care that much.
c- Begin to say how hard it is too at home.
d- Back you up 100% on anything to do with rewards/sanctions etc.


It's a lottery and so far in my teaching career I have won. I have had both 'good' and 'bad' kids but luckily have always got along well with the parents. I think that makes all the difference as that link is so essential. If the child is mis-behaving, having that home teacher contact is a great incentive for the child as they know information doesn't stop at the school gate. The current class I have at the moment were extremely boisterous and feisty when I got them but I have since managed to calm them right down and some of the more rough kids are becoming respectful and understanding of right and wrong. This obviously makes parents evening easier.

However, talking from 3.30 till about 7.20 without a break to a carousel of parents, after a full days teaching is draining. Lots of sleep today and then back to the grind tomorrow!

I am going to leave you all with my treat for such a long day:

Cadbury Creme Egg...so, so nice!!!

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yummm. Is it time for Easter chocolate yet? I see them all over the stores already, but so far I am withstanding the urge to stuff my face with the delicious chocolate pieces!

Take All Chances - Missy said...

They've been out for a while. There s seriously no specific chocolate times anymore here. Everything seems to be year round!!

As you have probably noticed by now I have very little self restraint and couldn't resist. I meant to buy 1 egg with my petrol the other day and the lady accidently put 5 through. She was extremely sorry and was going to refund the £1.50 or whatever so i just replied with, "Errr, it's ok. I'll just take the 5 to save you you having to mess on with the refund." See...helpful as ever!haha!

Rebecca said...

Hahahha, and always good for an excuse! I love it. I would have done the saaame thing - great excuse to buy a whole bunch!

Jennie Morgan said...

I'm not a teacher but your lists of parental reactions really made me laugh because I can totally see how it would play out that way! Your job is super hard and I admire you. :)

Take All Chances - Missy said...

The only time it didn't seem like a good idea was when I couldn't carry them all to my car with my purse. I struggled to open the door without thm rolling all over haha! Worth it though!

@Jennie- thanks! Yea parents are funny ones but pretty easy to read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...