Thursday 26 May 2011

What makes a good teacher?

I love my job (but loathe the paperwork) and I always want to make the kids enjoy school as much as possible. I realised today just how much kids can idolise their teacher when one said to me:

"Miss...I got up early today. I got up early because I wanted my Mam to style my hair like you wear yours. But she couldn't do it."

Now, my hairstyle is nothing exciting and the only reason I'm wearing it like it is at the moment is because I need to get my fringe sorted out! This made me feel happy (and also thought the parent would hate me for being harassed to do a hairstyle) and realise that as much as it feels like I'm so busy and weighed down by paperwork, the kids are still enjoying the lessons and I am having an impact in not only their learning but the way they behave (and obviously the way they look). Another child I found out changes into leggings and tunic tops to try and look like me when she gets home to play teachers! Flattered or scared? I don't know! haha!

I wondered, "What do I do to make the kids enjoy their education and like me as their teacher?" I came up with some thoughts which I had about my favourite teachers at school and realised they made me the teacher I am today.

No shouting

I don't shout at kids. I hate shouting. On the odd occasion where a child has done something so naughty that I have had to shout people are actually shocked since I never usually do it. I think that so many kids think that shouting is the only way to talk or solve problems. In my eyes, once you've shouted you've lost control of your own feelings and the situation at hand. I go with the more stern voice and talk about things logically and I can tell you that it's worked a treat this year (and in the past).

Talk

Basically, I am known as a good talker. I don't really like silence when I'm around people, it's awkward and uncomfortable. In the classroom this helps as I talk to the children. Again, at home there are lots of kids who are barely spoken to. They struggle to verbalise anything because they aren't used to a conversation. I share my life with them and they share what they are looking forward to or happy about and even what they are sad about. If I'm open with them they will feel confident to share their feelings with me and therefore the classroom environment is a very team like environment. Everyone looks out for one another.

Patience

The biggest thing to have when teaching is patience. There are times when I get frustrated, cross, ill or just plain tired. This is the time when I'm at my weakest, the time when the smallest of things will make me want to cry or shout. But, I take a deep breath and continue. I have a child who pretty much forgets to use full stops every time in their writing. Every time I make a joke about the full stops 'running away' and I sit and go through their work with them to put them in the correct place. One day it will stick but till that day I will soldier on like I do showing incredible patience.

Finding the good in everything

I want to share some of my kids work:

Our new jungle display!
Animals from my lower group...I do teach them - honestly!



Jungle adventure...


Jungle adventure...




What was it that made a teacher your favourite when you were at school?


*Ash cloud watch- seems to be fine at the moment! However I am now becoming ill! Booo!! I hope both stay away!!

3 comments:

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

Stay away from that Ash! :) I can only imagine that you are a great teacher. And how absolutely adorable that they wanted their hair your way. Now that is cute! I love that you shared some of their projects, great idea!

OKinUK said...

That is so terrific that that little girl wanted her hair like yours.

I feel like quoting Larry Bell to you if I haven't already. Srsly, look him up.

Lozzz123 said...

That is so sweet that the kids want to be like you!!

One of my favourite teachers when I was young was (like you mentioned) rarely if ever angry and shouting. She was always kind and calm and lovely. I wish I could see her again and give her a hug!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...