Monday 16 May 2011

I lack spatial awareness and clearly any common sense...

Today was a dull start (I even wore my hat to the car and into work to keep my mane calm) but I was in a ready to go mood. Before I start my post I just want to add a random strange thing that happened today. As I previously said, the day was dull and this was no more obvious tan at 6.45 when I got out of bed this morning. As I was making my lunch I began to sing Elo- Mr Blue Sky in my head to try and coax some sun out. Random song yes? Well, I then put the music channel on while having breakfast and guess what song I switched on to... yes...Elo- Mr Blue sky. Strange or what?


I managed to get into school early, beg ask for the football pitch to be marked out for the football tournament at my school this week. Honestly being sports coordinator is a full time job as well as the teaching. Kids were fine, morning lessons were fine and then it was assembly.

The year 3's (my group) and year 4's (my lot from last year) were all in the hall and we were awaiting the 'bigger kids' i.e. years 5 and 6. I decided I would get a seat to sit on as with my knee I can't handle the short benches- I know I sound like an old woman but needs must. So being the good teacher I am, I was careful to lift up the foldy chair as to avoid the children and managed to not hold onto the foldy part which then hit me in the face. You know when you do something and you just hope that it didn't catch too many peoples attention? This was one of those moments. However, my class laughed, I laughed (it was funny so I will forgive you for laughing) and I had to reassure some of the more 'emotional' kids in my class that I was actually ok. They do worry alot. Never have I been more pleased that the 'bigger kids' were late to assembly.



Regardless of being attacked by a chair I continued the day. A chair was not enough to hold me back. In the afternoon it was PE and I took the kids to the field regardless of the fact that it was windy and quite cold for me standing, watching and explaining. Normally I would join in and run around with them but again I am somewhat sidelined. So I did the explaining (striking and fielding games if you must know) and set the kids to task. It was a great lesson and I was even complemented by the sports coach, from the local comprehensive who came to teach the other year 3's, how good my lesson was. I gave up my slot with him so he could go to the Nursery...again, the sacrifices of a sports coordinator. Lesson went well and I led the kids indoors. We got to the door and regardless of the huge box I had balanced on my hip my brain said I could fit through the door. I couldn't. After hitting the door with the box I ricocheted into the door with my arm, Needless to say, this hurt a lot more than the chair. 

This is exactly what the door looked like...all evil and that...


 Again, my kids being the kids they are came out with great things:

"Miss, do you want me to go and get you one of those ice things from the office? You know the ones you use on your knee?" ... I'm fine (ha...i totally wasn't!).

"Miss, that was nearly as bad as when you hit yourself in the face with a chair this morning." err...Please don't tell your parents!

Obviously the evil chair hit me but still, I can imagine how it looked. Why I thought I could fit through I don't know. I have learned my lesson and have the sore arm, head and ribs to remind me to :

A- Have common sense and hold onto the folding chair seat when lifting it.
B- Always check before walking through a door that you can fit with out injury.

In other words: think!!

Images via: {1} and {2}

5 comments:

the nichols' family said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Hope you feel better! :)

Rebecca said...

LOL, Ms. Clumsy! I can only imagine how funny that must have been to watch -- almost as funny as the kid's second comment ;-)

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

Haha, well that is sweet that they are worried about you. But I would hate to do anything clumsy or embarrassing around them. They catch everything, I'm sure!!!

TriGirl said...

Ouch!! Don't you just love days that snowball like that?? Maybe the kiddoes will take it easy on you tomorrow...I bet you could milk this ;)

Stopped by from Mingle Monday :)

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@Day in the life- Thanks :-)

@Reb- Oh it would've been hilarious!! I found it extremely amusing to be honest.

@Lynsey- Yep- they literally never miss a thing. They even know if I've lost something for example just by the look on my face!Perceptive!

@TriGirl- Somthing like this wouldn't do anything. My poorly knee had them (and still does) looking after me. They would be like giving up their seats to make me sit down and rest it...they're only 7 bless them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...