Sunday 4 December 2011

Trust...

Honesty and trust. I think they both go hand in hand. There are situations where people are supposedly being honest but because of certain factors it is hard to know if it is the truth. Is it a reflection on your own self belief if you can't trust what is being said or does it reflect on the person saying those words?


“Self-trust is the first secret of success”
Ralf Waldo Emmerson
I am the type of person who finds trust extremely difficult, for one reason or another I lack belief in others and the honesty of their words. Is this because I actually lack belief in myself? Lately I have found myself in a situation which I did not think I would be in. My past has came back and not in the way which I ever expected. There has been many a conversations and in those conversations there has been a lot of honest words spoken. However, my problem lies in the fact of trust. Do the words being said to me have real, honest meaning or are they just that...words?

Trust, in particular with me, needs to be earned. Will it suddenly hit me that yes I feel like I wanna trust someone? Will it be the opposite where I realise that the trust for this person will never be there. On the flip side, others believe that trust should be given freely until someone gives you reason not to have it?

I am starting to come to the conclusion that maybe this is the time which I need to trust myself and others. If things go wrong, they can be fixed but if I don't make an attempt to trust the words said to me will it make it even harder to trust in the future? At the end of the day, if my trust is broken then I deal with it but if not then all is good.


“You must trust and believe in people or life becomes impossible.”
Anton Chekhov


I am aware that this post seems rather confusing but I guess this represents the confusion in my mind at the moment. I am not sad confused, I am just simply confused. When the past comes into your life, you wonder why now? Why at all? Complicated times I guess but hopefully not for much longer.



Do you need trust to be earned or do you give trust until proven otherwise?


5 comments:

Unknown said...

This could not be any more relevant to my life over the past couple weeks... the never-ending battle of trust. Thanks for sharing!

Summer-Claire said...

I blogged about trust a while ago, because I'm quite the opposite. I always trust someone until they give me a reason not to, but then as soon as they (inevitably) break that trust, they are out and they cannot regain that trust.

However I think, despite anyones stance on trust, that sometimes you get a gut feeling about someone that makes you more inclined to trust them or makes you want to run a mile. Trust your gut instinct!

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@Shane- It's good to know others feel the same way!Hope things are ok!!
@Summer- I admire you being able to give full trust fro the get go. I think that the idea that your gut plays a part is true, but then sometimes the head and heart interfere haha!

Susie Q said...

I find it really hard to trust people, just because in the past I've been hurt really bad (Violence Unsilenced is full of stories similar to mine...). Yet I do not believe that trust should be earned. Doesn't make sense to you? Yeah, me neither.

Basically, the ball & chain deserves my trust. He's never done anything not to deserve it. And it wouldn't be fair to push my own insecurities on his shoulders. It isn't his fault that I can't trust him; it's mine...

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@Susie- I get the whole not earning trust. I really want to give people it to begin with but yet can't get past the whole thinking that they'll just break it. As you say, it comes down to ourselves and trusting ourselves is one of the hardest things to do.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...