Monday 3 January 2011

A break away...

So... today is last day of my Christmas holidays. I’m back to work tomorrow...imparting my wisdom and knowledge (although some, including myself sometimes would beg to differ with that) to the future politicians, sports stars, teachers etc. I’ve worked rather hard the past couple of days as I did my usual trick of leaving work till the last minute. However, the cabin fever set in. I hadn’t done a lot else and most of my friends were busy (the usual boyfriend business) or away travelling. Now I’m not complaining about the boyfriends but it’s almost like a club. If you’re single you’re not in it. After last year’s trials and tribulations I’m having to try and keep myself busy but that’s proving harder than I thought!!

What could cheer me up? Hockey of course!! My passion...unfortunately I had no one to go with. Hmm...what could I do? Go alone?! The thought alone made me feel nauseas. I can’t go to a coffee shop alone without a magazine to keep me busy and here I was contemplating go to a hockey game, 3 - 20 minutes of action (longer obv with the stops) with 2 breaks!! Then a little something inside me thought...go for it!! Although I didn’t make any resolutions I decided to challenge myself more and what was more of a challenge than doing something that quite frankly scared me. So i got myself dressed, make up on and with jersey in hand put faith in myself and you know what...it felt great.

Now, I know you may think but it’s only a hockey game...but for me it’s definitely something I am proud of. Growing up with a twin and large family meant I never really had to do anything alone. Times are changing and my passion for hockey may just give me the get up and go I need. After last years season it has been difficult to feel comfortable in the rink and it hasn’t exactly helped me ‘let go of HB’ but my disillusion is starting to fade and I’m actually allowing myself to enjoy it. HB has gone and I only thought of him twice through the whole game...woo!! Oh and I made a couple of new friends. Good evening all round and hopefully this will be my 'break away' to a more confident me...

Cold, a bit dingy but my team's rink! Happiness!

2 comments:

El Grande said...

I don't like to travel in large packs, but I know what you mean about not wanting to go to a place by yourself.

Being here in Mexico by myself has really helped me with that though. Since I don't have many friends here, I usually have to wander the city on my own, and while it's maybe not as fun as if I was with a friend. I has really helped me reflect on a lot of things.

Remember you can be lonely, but you are never alone.

Take All Chances - Missy said...

Hahah .. you sound like a wolf! I don't really mind wandering about alone it's when I stop. I hate just sitting doing nothing, I'm far too fidgety and sitting alone means I can't even talk to cancel out the sitting around.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...