Friday 15 February 2013

Misery loves company...

It is no secret that I have faced some tough moments in my life in the past year. It is also no secret that I have found these stressful and difficult. I have tried hard to deal with the grief and considering the other things in my life (job, moving home and illness) I feel I have handled it well.

The problem is now that I have manged to pass the tears, I have another hurdle to overcome. The waves of sadness. By pretending I am fine, I have managed to trick some around me into thinking that I am indeed fine when in reality the thoughts and emotions inside of me are very difficult to comprehend. After a number of visits to the doctor regarding chronic viruses, chest infections and exhaustion I have finally decided that I need to accept the extra help she is offering by way of speaking to someone.


If all else fails it can give me some rest time.. [Source]


This is something which she has been talking about for a couple months now and each time I have told her I am fine and that it wasn't necessary at all. But lately, the more exhausted I get mentally and physically, the more I think I need to make a change. I can recognise there is a problem and believe that surely this is the point where I have to accept the help. I would do a dis-service to myself refusing and trying to work through things alone when it really isn't happening.

Given the extra life stresses I have on top of things, I am doing pretty well. But now I finding days where I just struggle to find motivation to just get through the day. When there is a problem, there is always a solution. That is something I know to be true so why should I discount one of the possible solutions? 

 
 

Have you ever been to counselling or therapy? How did it help you?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never talked to a therapist (I probably should ha) but my friend does to help her with her anxiety and she loves it, it helps her a lot. It definitely cant hurt anything!

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@Meggan - My thoughts exactly, it's not gonna do any harm but it could do a lot of good. Fingers crossed it helps my anxiety too.

CaninesCouture said...

I'm sorry to hear you're going through such a tough time. I can certainly relate to periods of struggle. I've been seeing a therapist for 6 years and I can honestly say that it's changed my life in ways I could never even imagine. I was a shell of what I had the potential to be and today I feel more whole than I ever have. Wishing you lots of luck on your journey. Stick with it...change is slow but it does happen.

xoxo,

Jules of Canines & Couture
www.caninesandcouture.com

Becky said...

Hey, just came over from BBN. I have been in therapy before for anxiety and depression - but that's a whole other story. What I do know is that when my mom passed away, the hospice offered free grief counseling for a year after her death date. I only went once. Six years later, I REALLY wish I had gone more. So I guess I'm saying: if you have the opportunity - take it.

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@CC - I am pleased to hear you talk so positively of therapy. I am hoping to see a change and develop a more positive mental state of mind! Thanks for stopping by!

@Becky - I think any form of counselling is so difficult to accept and with grief you have the added difficulty of hurting so much. Things are just so raw. I am hoping by making this decison I can start to heal.Thanks for your encouragement.

Unknown said...

One could say I'm a therapist, counselor, whatever you want to call them connoisseur. It only starts to help if you actually tell the person everything, but once you do that it helps. You should also open up to the people that keep asking if your ok, because they really do care even if you don't think it. I've been in hospitals more than once for emotional problems so I know what I'm talking about. I hope you get through it hun, you really need to do this for yourself <3

XOXO
Charlotte

Heather Jones said...

Any number of events in ones life can cause this feeling of being overwhelmed or just depressed. Accept your therapists help if you don't want to remain in the emotional state you are in. I used to be in therapy. Some things seem stupid in therapy. I thought so, then afterward, I realized their validity. Hang in there sweetheart and things will get better if you let them.

I'm visiting from the Better Blogger Network.

Heather from Mommy Only Has 2 Hands

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...