Thursday 20 January 2011

1 in 3...

 This is a statistic I was reading about on my lunch break today. Apparently 1 in 3 women will not leave the house without make up on. I have to hold my hands up (rather ashamedly) to being the 1 in the 3. The article then went on to put forward a ‘for’ and an ‘against’ argument as to whether we really need make up to be confident. I will now try and recall the main points of each:

For:
-          To be polite (it was compared to mn=en walking into an office with stubble).
-          To feel ready for the day- apparently this writer felyt things without make up felt like a run through.
-          To look nice.
-          To feel good.

Against:
-          It doesn’t give us confidence instead it just masks us.
-          We shouldn’t feel the need to make ourselves look better to feel better.

My opinion when reading it was that the whole thing is a pointless argument. Who is to say that make-up doesn’t make a person more confident and that we do it for other people and not just ourselves? On the other hand I felt the whole ‘it’s polite’ a bit ridiculous. If you are happy without make-up who is to judge that that is unacceptable and offensive? I mean I am personally not offended by stubble on a man and actually quite like it!

If I was asked, and have been on many occasions, ‘Why do you feel the need to wear make-up when you go out?’ I answer: Because I want to. I feel nicer with it on, I feel more confident in talking to other people and I actually enjoy doing my make up!

When, like me, you have grown up with bad skin you are used to covering it up it’s something that sticks. Those people who say things like, “But your skin is fine!” “You’re stunning, no one notices your skin!” are always those with the most stunning and perfect complexions. I think that whatever you’re comfortable with, whatever you want to do and as long as it’s for yourself, then make-up or no make-up that’s fine by me!!

Any thoughts on make-up? Are you a make-up fan or hater?

2 comments:

Hockey Wife said...

I would be a bigger makeup fan if I knew what to do with it. I'm just not good at the fancy stuff. The one thing I am really good at, from my Blazer days, is putting on fake eyelashes!

And I leave the house without makeup on every day. Grocery store. Starbucks. The people there see me as I am. The only time I really do my makeup is for my husband's games. It's the only time I get 'dressed' too.

Take All Chances - Missy said...

I am in awe- false eyelashes are something I just can't do!! Never really used them as have long lashes and then tried them this new year...let's just say it ended in a rather epic meltdown haha!

I suppose I've always needed to use it more for skin purpose then wanting to but now after so long it's just part of me. Kudos for you for going out without it!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...