Tuesday 25 December 2012

Have yourself a merry little Christmas...

Christmas is such a fun and exciting time. What I love about it, is that it means something different for everyone. I love hearing of Christmas traditions and how people close to me celebrate. For me, Christmas is all about making people smile and be happy.

My traditions start before Christmas. As a school teacher, I spend time with the kids at school singing carols and making cards and decorating the classroom. Their faces light up the day they come into the classroom and the tree is up. They know then it's nearly Christmas and the excitement starts. The naivety of children is something to behold. One of may favourite comments from one of my class was in the last week of school when he told me seriously, 

"Miss, I would love to be Santa when I grow up." I mean come on, who wouldn't love to have that belief again? 

On Christmas Eve, I go ice-skating and have food with my close girlfriends. We didn't subconsciously start it as a tradition, just a fun thing to do but after the first Christmas Eve day out we thought, Hey, we should do this every year. That is where 'Christmas Eve Festivities' came from. I love it. We go out together and have good fun. We don't party or get really drunk, just good old fashioned conversation and hopes of breaking no bones on the ice. 

My Christmas Day is usually a quiet affair with parents and twin. We eat, talk and share gifts. It's one of the most chilled days of the year. Then comes Boxing Day... it's my family's mad day. We all get together at my parents and celebrate till late. Again, it is a tradition. Gifts go flying, more eating and drinking, a million conversations going all over. It is one of my favourite days of the years. As I have such a big family, it is one of the few days we all manage to get together and have family time.

This year will be a difficult one. We will be a family member down due to the passing of one of my big brothers in November. This is something we're all still trying to come to terms with and something I still find upsetting. We are such a close group who are very protective and not being able to look after him and save him just hurts us all a lot. Christmas was his favourite time of the year so I am determined to make it a good one for him.

Christmas for me is about family, being happy and having conversations, irregardless of the topic, with the people I love so dearly. This year I will be thinking about those I can't be with and remembering them, I know they will be with us all in spirit.




Merry Christmas to you all. I hope it is all you want it to be!!

Missy
xoxo


1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Merry Christmas, separated twin! I love the different Christmas traditions! Lucky you for having a big family, too, we are only 6 when really everyone is there as of right now..
I know a few families who have to spend the first Christmas without a loved one, I hope all of you can hold together and lean on each other during this time! xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...