Sunday 30 September 2012

When everything falls apart...

It is no secret that I have had a difficult year. My post earlier in the year about my brother's Cancer was one of the lowest times I've ever encountered. I didn't think I would end up back there again ... and then Friday night happened.

I recieved a message after work to say my brother had been taken into hospital. Various things were wrong, mainly severe dehydration due to sickness all week. We all knew the previous chemotherapy session had been difficult and I assumed it would be a case of rehydration, maybe anti-sickness drugs and then a final push with the last chemo session before the final scan. 

How things can change and fall apart so quickly is quite scary. I visited him on Saturday and was not prepared for what I saw. My big brother looking anything but. From the pale and gaunt face, to the fragile body and the man with not even enough energy to move - everything about him screamed sadness. I pasted the smile on my face and sat next to him. I helped him move, talked to him, made him smile and at some points just sat with him in quietness. At this point we didn't know what was causing the sudden dramatic turn in his health. 

I now wish I was still in that not knowing stage because when I was with him today the doctor explained the cause. After a CT scan, it appears that the cancer (which we were told in July had reduced) had now spread to join onto his pancreas and in turn was pushing into his stomach. While the doctor was explaining this I sat, stunned and kept looking between my brother and the two doctors wondering if someone was going to laugh and say they were joking. But, that never happened. It was real and there was no maybe about the situation.

I wanted to cry, I wanted to scream or just jump up and shout, "It's not fair." But I didn't. I sat still, nodded my head and shook the doctors hand as he left and soaked up the heavy atmosphere he'd left in the air with his comments. Talk then moved to discussion of the operation which would be scheduled in the next couple of days and the unsaid was the next round of impending chemotherapy which will be coming his way.

I would say I have never felt this low but it's not true. I had the first kick earlier this year and it looks like it's going to finish the same way. I am putting my effort into controlling the sadness but it's difficult, I just want to cry and blame someone. But neither will help him. I now need to balance out my emotions for work in the morning, another hurdle to overcome. 


I must believe... {source}




Thank you for listening if you're still reading - I am hoping to be able to share some positive news with you all soon!

4 comments:

High Heeled Life said...

My heart goes out to you , your brother and your family. Life has a way of knocking the wind out of you, when you are busy making plans.
Just want you to know that someone (me) who you have not meant is thinking of you and praying for you and your family. Blessings . C. (HHL)

Sarah said...

I am so sorry for what you are going through. No one should ever have to endure such heartache. I just discovered your blog and look forward to reading more about your life and interests. Best wishes.

Wendy Annabeth said...

My thoughts are with you during this time...My family too has been affected by cancer... I'm a new GFC follower :)
xo
www.domesticsweetheart.com

Wendy Annabeth said...

Thinking of you and praying for & your family for some good news :) (sorry for 2 part post..realized this was cut off from my previous msg.) :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...