Tuesday 5 July 2011

Lucha Future...

As you all know from previous posts I have always been a fan of wrestling. I don't watch it often now due to time but if I'm having a lazy Saturday morning or not slept in till late I will watch some Raw or Smackdown. Now, I am known as being a rather girly girl and high maintenance regarding certain things. However, I have the side which loves a bit of boyish banter and fun. I attribute this to having brothers growing up. It was always rough and tumble. My nickname was 'Bash'...I think that says it all really!

Miss Faux Fur is also a bit of a wrestling fan- can you see another reason why we're friends now? So before my birthday she forwarded me an email about a wrestling event in the city where we live. This was a Lucha Libre festival. A good blogging friend of mine, El Grande, has made me a lot more aware of Lucha Libre wrestling so this event seemed even more appropriate to attend!

Now I hope I don't get any of this wrong El Grande... Lucha Libre is spanish for 'free wrestling' and this type of wrestling is characterised by the use of masks, good and bad identities as well as high flying moves. It is gaining popularity in lots of countries but generally became popular in Mexico and other Spanish speaking countries. If you watch wrestling I am sure you have came across the Luchadores Rey Mysterio and the newer (to the WWE anyway) Sin Cara.

Myself and Miss Faux Fur were a bit apprehensive as it wasn't under a wrestling name as such, but part of  ¡VAMOS! , a Latin festival in the area which I live. I had been assured however that the luchadores who were to attend were good. We both thought it would be really fun and also, a bit of a different birthday celebration. What can I say about it? iT surpassed fun and was AWESOME!!

We had such a fun night and after both being incredibly stressed with work etc lately it was a great way to just have a good time. The wrestlers were pretty spectacular and the show itself was fab! 

We weren't allowed to take pictures but of course I had to do it for my blog land friends to share and also to remember such a good night (plus after quite a few sneaky shots, lots just openly stood to take photos in the final 3v3 match)!! So here are a selection of snaps:




Is that Sir Reginald on Blue Demon Jr's head?!





As you can see the masks and costumes are a huge part of this sport. The whole sport has such a great art feel to it to. There are Technicos (good guys) and Rudos (bad guys) which gets the crowd going and sets up a great atmosphere. Personally I was more of a fan of the rudos however the Technicos did some pretty spectacular moves!!!



 Some fantastic wrestlers and photo fun after the show!







 I did purchase a mask. I had too, I wanted something to remind me of the show and thought what better than a mask? Myself and Miss Faux Fur had great fun with it... I even managed to get some random fellow masked visitors to pose for pictures after the event. Would you believe one was actually Mexican and had came over for the event and to visit friends. The whole night was a success and would definitely be something that we'd go to again!


Myself and Miss Faux Fur just HAD to have some fun with the mask...
 *Just to note- I did not drive with that mask on, we just thought it would look funny!!



Take a look at some of these masks and costumes!!



Have you been to something which was even more fun than you thought it would be?

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

Muahahha. I would have NEVER taken you for THAT kinda girl, but hey, whatever floats your boat, more power to you :) I am glad you had such a good time. It sounds like fun lol.

Courtney B said...

Hahaha I LOVE it!! "Bash" Hahaha!
And that is so great that you had such a fun time! I think I would like to go to something like this sometime!

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

This. Is. Awesome!!! Looks like it was so much fun. If just fun silly and ridiculous fun. BTW, you should have totally driven with that mask on. Can you imagine what the people next to you in their car would have thought?! haha.
Thanks for linking up to the hop this weekend, Missy! So glad you did. Have a wonderful start to your weekend :)

shah said...

Hey Missy - This looks a ton of fun - my brother used to LOVE wrestling. And my sister LOVES boxing. I missed the gene - I'm a little to soft I think ;D But then I love horror and they hide behind pillows ;D Here form the hop and chuffed to be - following too!

PLEASE consider linking up at my weekly creative blog hop too -
http://wordsinsync.blogspot.com/2011/07/all-new-weekend-creation-blog-hop-poem.html

Shah- X

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@Rebecca- Haha- I know!!I do like to surprise people!!
@Coutney- You totally should. It was great!! Yep- bash still is something which amuses the family now haha!
@Lindsey-Oh it would have been hilarious however I'm not sure the police would have thought it as funny or the person I would have more than likely crashed into haha!! Glad to have linked it :-)
@Shah- Sounds like the likes in your family were all spread out nicely haha!! All you got a little bit of toughness there!

Unknown said...

My five year old brother LOVES to waatch wrestling on TV, thanks to my Dad. When I was little I used to watch it too (:

El Grande said...

That looks like super fun, but let me ask you an important questions, did a gay man kiss you? Because if he didn't you really didn't experience lucha at it's fullest ;)

Take All Chances - Missy said...

I KNEW there was something missing from the night!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...