Wednesday 30 March 2011

You know you're a teacher when...

Even though teaching is my career, I feel it has slowly started to creep into my private life to the point of near whole control. Every now and again I reach this point and realise that actually it's not the be all and end all. Changes are starting to be made. It did make me think about what it means to be a teacher- as much as I try and push it out of my personal life I know there will always be a bond between the two. This inspired a list from me:

You know you're a teacher when..

1.You give 'the look' to a kid misbehaving in public and resist the urge to tell them you're disappointed with their behaviour.
2.You get excited by stationary and nice coloured files.
3.You need a pen and can only find red ones.
4.You have a variety of highlighters, felt tips, pens, pencils in your handbag.
5.Your hand bag contains lots of things you will never need in 'real life'. (In mine you will find plastic money and ELC money notes haha)
8. Asked to spell anything yo automatically responded phonetically.
9. You expect everyone in a group to look at you and listen when you talk. 
10.You will correct writing of those around you without thinking (Sorry Miss Faux Fur- I know you have been on the receiving end of this haha).
11.You can't go to a local supermarket without hearing, "Hi Miss!!"
12.You can eat your dinner, mark books and make a phone call ...all at once.
13.You say "Oh goodness/gosh/sugar..." when something bad happens. 
14.You have a list of names you will never call your own children because they are 'naughty names'.
15.You know at least 5 different ways to complete calculations without using a calculator.
16.You get excited about stickers as much as the kids.
17.You like to laminate everything.
18.You are able to ignore noise and pretend like there is nothing there.
19.You often think, "Ooo I wonder if the kids would like this," when out shopping. 
20. You can find a use for nearly anything.

I am sure there are a lot more and if you're a teacher and reading this, I would love to hear what you would add.

To finish this post I would like to share the work from one of my 8 year olds last week. It was a chracter profile for his own alternative traditional tale (the Gingerbread Girl ate the fox if you must know). Brilliant!

I wouldn't mind her in my gang :-)

12 comments:

Hugs & Loves, Ariel said...

love # 13, so true!!
I worked in a preschool for 3 years and your vocabulary totally changes!
hugs & loves, Ariel

El Grande said...

Fine she can be in the gang, but you know that makes reconsider letting you back in. At least she knows karate.

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@Ariel- yep you definitly have to watch what you say and how you explain things!

@El Grande- Well since you're not the gang leader you can't decide to not let me in. Anyway, I am stubborn so will just hang around regardless. Good find though with a karate Ginger bread girl!! Aren't my kids clever!

El Grande said...

Well, Sir Reginald Quatermain is the gang leader and he likes me more than you, so we'll see. Besides you don't know where our secret headquarters are. :p

Take All Chances - Missy said...

He doesn't have a favourite, he likes all equally. He's very fair like that. However the secret headquarters? Everyone knows where they are but no one can say... that's the secret part.

El Grande said...

Oh, he has a favorite, he just told you he doesn't. It's like teachers, they always have a favorite, but they don't go around announcing it.

Touche on the secret headquarters though.

Take All Chances - Missy said...

It's true. I never have favourites!I'm a good teacher like that.

El Grande said...

Mmm,hmm...

Kayleigh said...

Im not a teacher but i can only imagine! haha I love the picture at the end! :-)

April said...

Fun post!! I'm not a teacher, but it was fun to read this and think of the teachers I had through the years-- I always wondered what their lives were like beyond the classroom : )

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@Kayleigh- Yep- the pic is what made me love his work too!!

@April- Hahah!! I know, now that I am one i think back to mine and wonder if they feel as frazzled as I do!! Also, I work with 7 year olds and when they see you outside of school they literally can't believe their eyes...it's like they've seen Santa Clause or something haha!

Miss365 said...

My handbag is an atrotious mess of highlighters, pens, more highlighters, paperclips and dead usbs because I am a teacher. And worse still one that travels between worksites each day so I carry everything possible around with me!

Lol.

I would also add you also know you're a teacher when you get invited to something and you say "Oh yeah sure, that's in Week 5 right?"

Good thing for me I am surrounded by teacher friends so I am no longer a weirdo when I do this! ;)

xMiss365

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...