Wednesday 13 July 2011

Best. Gig. Ever...

Yesterday was Sports Day and I survived. All my organisation was fine, parents and children were happy and my head teacher was pleased too. Was it worth the whole stress? I'm not too sure but I'm relieved it all went well and is now over for another year!!

Any normal person would have crashed out last night but not me, I had tickets to see Bright Eyes. I have blogged of my love for this band and musician Conor Oberst and this is another. So therefore if you want to navigate away from my page... now's your chance....still here? Great!!

We all have them, a band or singer who no matter how often we listen to we can never get enough. Bright Eyes is mine. If I'm uncertain what to listen to, Bright Eyes goes on. I feel down...Bright Eyes goes on. I feel optmistic...Bright Eyes go on... I'm sure you get the picture!!

Well, the band stopped making music a few years back and the main component (Conor Oberst) went solo and then into a couple other bands ('Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band' and 'Monsters of Folk') which I liked and saw live but just didn't click the same way. Then earlier this year, Bright Eyes reformed and relesased 'The People's Key'. It is a great album, not on par with 'I'm Wide Awake...' but still outstanding.

About a month ago, I purchased tickets to see them where I live which is the first time they have played here. I was like a kid in a sweet shop last night on my way to see them. I have never been more excited to see a band!!! Guess what?? They didn't disappoint. I was the annoying person who states 'This song is the best,' before EVERY song. The set list was a perfect mix of old and new. Conor's stage persona was enchanting and entertaining. He was clearly enjoying the show. His songwriting makes you contemplate, question and reflect lots of things.

I wont lie, I also shed a little tear for one of my favourite songs, 'First Day of my Life'. The cd version is great but Conor singing it live was something special:


Apologies for the quality, my phone is a bit crappy from a distance.

Here is the whole song:



If you haven't came across the greatness of Bright Eyes, here are some songs for you:

Land Locked Blues

Easy/Lucky/Free


Lua

(This is a favourite of mine :-) )





At the Bottom of Everything


Poison Oak

Any there any other Bright Eyes fans?

11 comments:

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

Don't you love those concerts where every song is 'the best one!" haha. I have to admit that I have never heard of this band, but I really like what I hear! I am going to have to play around with a couple of the other songs :)

Shaneiferd said...

I'm not a huge concertgoer, but for my favorite bands I enjoy the experience. It's quite a great feeling to see them play their songs live, isn't it? As if you're making a tangible connection with them. Like the singer is speaking directly to you.

~SP

Mini Driver said...

I love Bright Eyes... would love to see them live!!

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@Lindsey- Definitly check them out. It's all about the lyrics, there are some some amazing songs!!! Haunting yet brilliant!
@Shane- I agree, that's how it felt. aat one point, for one song I felt like it was just me. That was pretty special :-)
@Allison- Keep an eye out as they are touring with their newest album.Fingers crossed for you.

Mostly Food and Crafts said...

Visiting from Comment Love Day - going to look around a bit!!

Mallory said...

Absolutely love Bright Eyes! I have seen them twice at Radio City (once a few years ago, and the other time a few months ago.) Poison Oak is my favorite Bright Eyes song...and was so psyched I got to hear it live :)

♥ Nadine said...

Ah, thanks for sharing all those pretty videos. Not long ago (just 3 weeks or something) I saw Bright Eyes play live here in Germany. It was actually the 3rd time I saw them play - and I spent two hours in a different world. Conor Oberst is really a genius.
But I kept on wondering how he is able to remember these masses of lyrics. Holy cow!! :)

Ah, so nice to meet someone who share the love for Conor!!

I just found you via "FTLOB" ... Here's to a happy week. XOXO.

Sarah said...

I had never heard of them before and I'm in LOVE with them now after listening to a few of those! So jealous that you got to go!

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@Nadine- He does take you to a whole new place doesn't he? I know, a lot of his songs don't have specific verses and chorus'. I have to say I know most the words but then I'm an obsessive fan...what's his excuse?! haha!!
@Sarah- I'm so happy to have introduced a new person to Bright Eyes!!! I always hold the person who introduced me to this band high in my estimations :-)

JMay said...

I loooove Bright Eyes, I have been on your blog playing all those videos, haha!

xo
http://jennymayandswede.blogspot.com/

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@JMay- So happy to have another Bright Eyes fan!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...