Thursday 3 March 2011

Waiting...

I was in the middle of a lesson today, and as usual, my kids were being random. One decided to tell me he was going to a disco tonight and last time he went he waited two hours to get his face painted white, with Man U wrote in gold across his forehead. I then asked him 'Was it worth it?'...expecting him, as a child, to be extremely enthusiastic about it and he replied no.

First off I was impressed that this child had waited two whole hours to get it done (which in kid speak is like 30 minutes if that) and secondly that he actually didn't think it was worth it. If you have ever worked with kids, you will know that they pretty much find everything exciting...particularly face painting.

It worried me, as, as an adult there are not many things which we would wait around for. But we're adults you know...we have lost that naivety and excitement which children have. Had he grown into a mini adult? Had he finally realised that not many things are worth waiting 2 hours for (except something like a McDonald's the day after the night before)? Or maybe the face paint was just crap...which is probably the most obvious answer. But, as I sat and watched him still laugh about it, I got to thinking how old will he be when he finally becomes a little adult and he sees the world in such a different way. I suppose as adults our views of the world are constantly changing and we pretty much understand how and why things may change. I've forgotten what it was like when I was a kid. When everything you saw was funny, you liked anything, you had no fear and things on the news were not things you fully understood.

I like seeing my kids like that, they are still kids and still have that love for life. They are happy nearly all the time and if not it doesn't take them long to come around again. It makes me feel extremely privileged to be able to do the job I do and educate these children about life and hopefully help them become ready for the challenges and changes that lie ahead.

ABC's....not the only thing I teach at school....

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally with you there. It's amazing how much a super simple thing, say, a pink "pointer pen," can be so exciting that a struggling reader participates for the first time!

Kids are fun.

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by! I'm following you now as well! Have a good day! - Brooke @www.grantandbrookestone.blogspot.com

Hockey Wife said...

Isn't it amazing how much you can learn from little nuggets? Some of them are wise beyond their years! Life is just so simple for them ... and sometimes that's a nice reminder.

Alely said...

finally here to say hi and thanks for visiting me the other day. i so appreciate that.

cherish the youthful days. time is fleeting and they grow so quickly. so don't blink.

now following and look forward to many more visits with each other.
have a great weekend!
xo,
alely

OKinUK said...

I'm an adult and there are things on the news that I still don't fully understand, like Glen Beck's popularity.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! And, no, I don't think I'm ever going to get used to the constant cold-ishness of here.

Take All Chances - Missy said...

@ A- I remember reading about an Australian school that would bring dogs in to help chn read as they were much more comfortable reading to a dog than adult!! A bit off the topic of the post but as a fellow teacher I thought you'd find it interesting!

@ Brooke- Thanks for the follow :-)

@ Hockey Wife- I totally agree. I always like to thik of it that they look at the world in black or white but as they grow there are areas of grey which appear which they just don't understand. You're right too about learning from them, I feel like I learn new things each year with a different set of kids. It's amazing how they are all so unique! Fab to see!

@Alely- They do and I am lucky to work in Primary education as they all still love school and think it's cool. They don't have the 'attitude' yet haha!

@ Hhahah!! You say that now but after a while you learn to appreciate the good things it brings, like the reason to buy a lovely Winters Wardrobe of clothes haha!!

b. lee said...

amazing stuff * *

Amanda said...

Hi, popping over from FTLOB, I know what you mean, its amazing see kids when one minute they are the innocent child and next acting like an adult. My 10 year old keeps flitting between to 2, one moment playing along with my 2 yr old boys the next moaning about the state of the economy and its effect on her pocket money and favourite shop closing down! They grow up all to soon

Take All Chances - Missy said...

They do grow up too fast. I keep thinking- I wasn't like that when I was their age but maybe I was. It just seems like kids are growing up faster these days! I'm only 25 but feel like an old granny saying that haha!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...